Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Ok, I think I thought of a possible theme. Throughout the past couple chapters I've definitely noticed one thing for sure: K. has 0 friends. Literally...no mention of even a distant friend has been made. I'm wondering if K. has a hard time forming and keeping relationships with others? I mean, he said that he hadn't seen or talked to his uncle for awhile. He also said that he felt regret for not having spoken to his cousin (his uncle's daughter) for quite some time. In addition to the distances found within he and his family members, the only person he seems to actually want to have a relationship with is nowhere to be found [Fraulein Burstner].

This is already a start for a topic like that, so I'm sure that there will be more examples I can use throughout the rest of the story. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I found an example that depicts the first time K. actually shows any emotion... (usually he's so indifferent, even when it is about his trial) and it's in The Floggers chapter when he feels remorseful for having complained about the two guards and being the reason that they're having to be flogged. His regret and the sadness he feels even the next day reinforce that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed that too (his indifference I mean). It frustrates me so much that he doesn't seem to care about anything or anyone

    ReplyDelete