Friday, October 7, 2011

The Arrest

So far I have read "the arrest" in the beginning of the novel. I thought it was interesting, especially how the main character K. has an arrogant tone as he constantly speaks and thinks in a degrading vibe towards the arresting officers. I have the feeling that he is an old man from how he has a person serving him breakfast and the way he explains the other people living around him, but he states that he is 30. From the first chapter I can understand that he has a high position at a bank so I assume that he has money. The whole police situation in which he is arrested but allowed to go to work and continue on confuses me and I am excited to continue reading.

2 comments:

  1. I thought the same thing that you did; it seems like Josef K. is older and therefore "wiser" than the others but then he gives away his age. I also thought the same thing about the money; K.'s tone has a tone of superiority. But this also confuses me because he lives in what seems like a hostel...??? If he had any money he probably wouldn't do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's another quotation I found that further hints towards old age rather than youth.. "I'll either have to bring them candy to win them over or I'll flog them with my cane" (p40 in my book). CANE!!! I don't know any thirty year-olds that use canes on a regular basis

    ReplyDelete